Can you believe Summer Solstice is in just 10 days? Have any plans? Around here, we're thinking of activism-oriented work. Normally I like to make cool drinks, soak in the sun, and generally...frolic. But this year? No, I think not.
This year, in the midst of a social justice uprising...I can only say that it's time to keep working. Collectively, much has been accomplished already. This is the work, right now - we have to be present and do our part to end systems of oppression. #BlackLivesMatter has sparked what we intend to manifest into the revolution we ALL need.
So this is what I'm doing for the Festival of Summer. I need to figure out the best way to attack a whole host of social justice issues. Here is the list of reforms I made:
- Inclusion - we need to bend our efforts toward ending systemic inequality toward ALL marginalized groups. #BlackLivesMatter, first and foremost, but lets not forget our Indigenous populations, women, our differently abled communities, the LGBTQIA community, immigrants from all over the world, and everyone else.
- Reform the police – demilitarize, give social worker tasks to social workers, fire ALL rapists and racists
- Environmental protections – put them back in place and make them MUCH stronger (Green New Deal)
- Institute sustainable energy sources
- Universal health care
- Forgive student loans
- Free college, at least state schools
- Address the housing crisis
- Living wages for ALL
- ABOLISH ICE
- Term limits for all legislators
- Fix gerrymandering
- Abolish the electoral college
- Vote by mail for all states
- Repeal Patriot Act
- Institute stronger criteria for eligibility for President – psychological exam, financial records, not allowed if pending lawsuits and criminal charges
- Abolish daylight savings time
- Switch to the metric system
What would you add? How are you attacking racism and all of the systems of oppression? As for me, I've been making calls, writing letters, sending texts, having tough conversations, cleaning house on social media, and donating funds.
Magically, I feel we got some good momentum started on the recent Full Moon #June5thGlobalSpiritualProtest. Now it's time to keep the fire burning. Keep doing the work, in both the mundane and magical realms.