Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Pilgrimage of the Great Wheel

Earlier this year, I went on a vision quest on Jomeokee, aka Pilot Mountain. As I noted in that post, Jomeokee is a key point, or vortex, on a ley line. It is also the the central point of a wheel of ley lines on the Atlantic seaboard of the United States. This means, essentially, that it is the center of a group of related sacred sites. These places hold and magnify the power of the Earth, and act as repositories of memory of events.

See below for an illustration showing the Great Wheel:



It is my intention to make pilgrimage to all of the points of the Great Wheel of Jomeokee. The points of the wheel are, starting in the north and proceeding sunwise:

Moundsville, WV: Grave Creek Mound

At 62 feet (19 m) high and 240 feet (73 m) in diameter, the Grave Creek Mound in the Ohio River Valley in West Virginia is one of the largest conical-type burial mounds in the United States. The builders of the site, members of the Adena culture, moved more than 60,000 tons of dirt to create it about 250–150 BC. (description from Wikipedia)

Washington, DC: Unknown site

I find it interesting that we chose this spot as the capital of our government, the repository of this nation's power, as it were. At this point, I do not yet know what I will visit there. Initial research indicates that there are a great many important churches there, but that doesn't seem too likely to me. It wouldn't surprise me if the Pentagon was built over the actual ancient monument.

NC/VA line: Great Dismal Swamp

I doubt any traces remain from ancient times, but I will see. I plan to paddle my pirogue there and camp in the area, though both the NC state park and the VA wildlife refuge do not allow camping.

Cape Fear: Actual point is in the ocean

I live on the Serpent Lei, the ley line that roughly parallels the Cape Fear River. Looking back at the things that led me to live where I do, I believe it is this very fact that drew me here. I scouted all around Raleigh to find a rural spot where I felt comfortable. At the time, I didn't really know why I felt at ease here. Since moving here, I have developed a close relationship with my river, the Cape Fear. I will count this weekend's trip to the mouth of the Cape Fear as my pilgrimage to this point, and will write a separate post about that.

Parris Island, SC:  US Marine Corps Base

I discovered that it is possible to visit the base itself. Again, I find it interesting that this spot was chosen as the headquarters of one of our military branches. Power finds power. There is also a wildlife refuge across the channel, so that's a good spot to visit as well.

Stone Mountain, GA: Stone Mountain Park

Once again, another symbol of the power of the United States. Stone Mountain is a quartz monzonite dome monadnock and the site of Stone Mountain Park in Stone Mountain, Georgia. At its summit, the elevation is 1,686 feet (514 m) MSL and 825 feet (251 m) above the surrounding area. Stone Mountain is well-known not only for its geology, but also for the enormous bas-relief on its north face, the largest bas-relief in the world.[1] The carving depicts three Confederate figures during the Civil War: Stonewall Jackson, Robert E. Lee, and Jefferson Davis. (description from Wikipedia)


A 12 foot tall rock standing upright on a sandstone ledge, which was supposedly used as a boundary line between two Indian nations. When the rock fell, the Indians placed a portion of it upon an improvised monument to preserve it. (description from TN state park website)


The Great Serpent Mound is a 1,348-foot (411 m)-long,[2] three-foot-high prehistoric effigy mound on a plateau of the Serpent Mound crater along Ohio Brush Creek in Adams County, Ohio. Researchers have attributed construction of the mound to three different prehistoric indigenous cultures. Although it was once thought to be Adena in origin, now based on the use of more advanced technology, including carbon dating and evidence from 1996 studies, many scholars now believe that members of the Fort Ancient culture built it about 1070 CE (plus or minus 70 years). There are still anomalies to be studied.[3] Serpent Mound is the largest serpent effigy in the world.[4] (description from Wikipedia)

More updates to come. At this point, there is no formal plan or timeline. I'll visit each one as I'm able, and in the fashion dictated by the site and geography itself. The only thing I know for sure is that I'll bring offerings to each place. At Pilot Mountain, I was able to camp on the mountain, hold ceremony at our campsite and meditate on the pinnacle itself. Other places, I'll do what I can. I also don't really know why this is important to me, or why I have to do it. I only know that it is right.

7 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Probably not until sprint, at this point. I'll keep you posted!

      Delete
    2. What about in Kentucky, there should be some sacred sites there too.

      Delete
    3. Hi Rosa, there are many sacred sites in KY. I feel a lot of power when I visit the caverns there. They just aren't a part of this particular network of ley lines.

      Delete
  2. Today is July 16, 2020 and my husband and I are on our own pilgrimage from Indiana to Pilot Mountain and then to serpent mound. For the same reasons as you my friend. We also know we are called to do so and don’t know why as you said but IT IS RIGHT
    Jackie Evans

    ReplyDelete
  3. My comment was above Jackie Evans. Here is my Email we would love to hear your updated journey jackieevans333@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. In 2020, I started following a continued calling nature and to visit sites along the serpent lei - first bday trip to serpent mound then in October to pilot mountain where I did solitary Ritual and meditations

    I believe I live On the serpent line as I’m in the indiana dunes region and feel the magic in the land here.

    I’m wondering if you have favorite resources and favorite maps of this area and all these specific Ley Lines? I’d like to follow the Ley Line and the Parks all along - Indiana, wisconsin and any other areas in Ohio this year.

    Now I’m interested in the wheel - as didn’t know about this before and it resonates as a must do for me too

    ReplyDelete