Friday, January 3, 2014

Archery and Artemis


Archery is in my blood. My parents were both archers. Dad was the Deerslayer, a traditional hunter of great sensitivity, and Mom was an Olympic archer and instructor. I learned to shoot a bow almost as early as I learned to walk. We were also an outdoorsy family. Along with archery, we camped, hiked and foraged for wild foods.

From an early age, I wandered the woods. I wasn’t the sort of little girl who played with doll houses. Instead, I built houses for the fairies. I didn’t have an Easy Bake oven. No, you were more likely to find me in the woods, mixing up “potions”, riding my Huffy or reading a book. So it’s no surprise that as an adult, my greatest love is to wander the wilds, climbing mountains and fording streams…just to see what is around the next bend. Simply to breathe the pure air, be with the trees and allow the peace of nature to seep into my soul. More than that, wilderness represents freedom. Out there, I am myself. Pure, inviolate. Untrammelled by societal pressures and roles. No cellphones, no watches, no to do list beyond the daily necessities of shelter, food and fire when appropriate.

In recent years, I have rebooted my family tradition of bowhunting. What a joy – my love of the wilderness combined with my love of archery! My hunting style is very traditional and ethical. I hunt using only traditional equipment – longbow, recurve or horsebow. No compound bows. Wood arrows that I make myself. No artificial scents or other technological aids. Just me, the woods, a stick and a string. I hunt mostly whitetailed deer now that I am living in North Carolina. Even so, I go for does. They far outnumber the bucks, and there are plenty of trophy hunters here. I’m not interested in bragging rights; instead, I hunt to feed myself and my family. No more ethical animal protein exists than that one has hunted, butchered and cooked oneself.

Each summer, I begin to prepare for the fall. I check my gear, making repairs or additions as necessary. I step up my archery practice, being sure that I can hit exactly where I aim for a quick and humane kill. With each breath, each preparatory task, I am performing an act of devotion. When fall finally arrives, I hunt with a deep reverence for my prey and I express profound gratitude for their sacrifice. I am deeply connected to my food. I am enmeshed in the cycles of life.

And so I begin the Pagan Blog Project with Artemis, Lady of Wild Beasts, Lady of the Wilderness, Deer Shooter. When I learned who She was many moons ago, I realized why I never feel alone in the woods or on a lonely mountaintop. She's been with me all along.

Io Artemis Koryphaia!


No comments:

Post a Comment