Wednesday, March 11, 2015

As Above, So Below


Mar. 9 - Week 2 - As Above, So Below – What do you seek from the Divine? How is that reflected in the mundane? Where do you find your place of synthesis?


As Above, So Below…this is a phrase uttered by many a magical practitioner. What does it really mean? This is a classic case of science catching up to spiritual knowledge. I love the fact that we live in an age when we are proving that the sages, witches, rishis, alchemists and medicine people are speaking literally about the nature of reality.

The maxim as phrased here comes from Hermetic mysticism. From wikipedia: "translated by Dennis W. Hauck from The Emerald Tablet of Hermes Trismegistus, is: "That which is Below corresponds to that which is Above, and that which is Above corresponds to that which is Below, to accomplish the miracle of the One Thing."[28] Thus, whatever happens on any level of reality (physical, emotional, or mental) also happens on every other level."

All at once, we are saying that there is more than one level of reality AND that the realities are causally linked.

Another way to talk about this is the macrocosm and the microcosm of our holographic universe. The whole of existence is a 3-D projection, so to speak. It has solidity and reality to those within it, yet it is made of space and energy. And just like a hologram, the whole of existence is within the smallest unit of life.

"To see a World in a Grain of Sand And a Heaven in a Wild Flower, Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand And Eternity in an hour."

-William Blake

The other major way of talking about this concept is in terms of the Divine. That being the case, we can imagine that we are extensions of the Divine’s senses. We are Her eyes, ears, and body. She sees through us and feels our experiences. Sometimes the Gods work through us, accomplishing their unfathomable goals on Earth. But we too have the power of creation. We have agency, the ability to choose our reality.

As a grain of sand in an extremely large, possibly infinite co-creative and ever-expanding Universe, my job is to experience things and to make choices. Endlessly, every day of our lives, we choose and act. All of our thoughts, words, postures and deeds, they shape our reality. These acts of will are real, just as the wind and the rain are real and create effects in the world.

As above, so below. We envision our desires in sacred space, working in the hallways of always, so to speak. Our waking reality shifts and changes in response. What is above, in the Dreamtime/spirit realm/super-reality/altered state…(call it what you will) becomes what is below, in our mundane consensual reality. The Universe, enlivened by the Divine, creates and modifies endlessly. And so do we.

I was asked during Yoga teacher training to formulate a personal mission statement - an expression of my dharma, or purpose, here on Earth. Though it took me some moments to formulate the words, I knew. I have been lucky enough to know my purpose for most of my life.

”With excellence and honor, I inspire, protect, teach and heal those in need.”

There is my synthesis. This is how I embody the Divine in my mundane life. I study and explore, ever seeking and experiencing life as fully as I can manage. I use my learnings to help others along the way.

I am deeply grateful for this life, given to me by the Divine. I give them full honor in my hall. Raise the horn high. Drink the sacred mead and be merry that the Gods may do so as well. Hail to the Gods! Blessed be and Namaste!

No comments:

Post a Comment