Thursday, September 10, 2015

My Favorite Books

The Pagan Experience - WK 1- September 7: Books! Tell us about a favorite book. We come across many literary adventures as students of a spiritual path. Some become familiar companions; others reference sources. Some may have been what propelled you on your current spiritual journey, or took you in a completely different direction than what you had imagined. And, then there are those that speak to every level of your soul. What’s on your shelf?


Ah, books - gateways to the world, portals of infinite possibility, kettlebells for the imagination, dear friends. Books have played such a huge role in my life, my thinking and the formation of who I am today.

One of the things I'm enjoying about teaching spirituality is recommending my favorite books. Here are a few of the books that have shaped my worldview, with comments about what I've learned from each and in no particular order:
Hesse, Herman: Siddhartha

The story of Buddha. Need I say more? This idea of enlightenment through personal experience,
detachment from the world of the senses and rejection of the illusion of worldly life, it is a powerful thing. As a person who grew up practicing Yoga, it was instrument to my development.

Menen, Aubrey: The Space Within the Heart

Though the author never practices a pose, this is truly what Yoga is all about. The examination of the self to peel back the layers of self-deception and cultural conditioning...this is liberation. This is enlightenment. It goes along with Siddhartha; it's basically the same journey, but as told through the experience of a modern layperson.


Thoreau, Henry David: Walden

Living simply in close relationship with the land, and again, examining oneself outside of the dominant culture...this is the way to clarity. Plus his prose is beautiful.

Robbins, Tom: Jitterbug Perfume 

Pan, beets, living a juicy and magical life...this book is a touchstone of my childhood. I read it quite young, pre-puberty. Then I lost track of it for years. Couldn't remember the title or the author. Found it by chance through a conversation with an internet acquaintance. Have bought multiple copies. 

Valiente, Doreen: Witchcraft for Tomorrow

One of my first books about the Craft, and my favorite one in my early days. I'm not into that type of practice anymore, but it will always be a foundation of my work.

Living the Martial Way: Forrest Morgan

This was the guidebook of my warrior years. I'd highly recommend it for any martial artist. It gave me the clearest explanation I've heard, before or since, of what honor truly is and how to live honorably.

Morgan, Marlo: Mutant Message from Forever

Caveat: I have heard about this woman's lack of permission from the tribe to publish these books about their tribal wisdom and traditions. I heard about it long after I read it, and I was dismayed. I don't support this kind of cultural appropriation. But at the same time, this book really moved me. I absolutely love the idea of having a list of positive commandments, things we *should* do. I love the concept of "innertainment" and entertainment being intrinsic human abilities, rather than a gift that only some people
are given. 

Adams, Douglas: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Exploring the galaxy on only 30 Altarian Dollars a day, the meaning of life and a very tolerant view of different beings. This book, while a work of fantasy, has shaped my view of life. I re-read it regularly and always, always know where my towel is at.

Abbey, Edward: Desert Solitaire

The beauty of the desert, another journey into the self and a deep connection with nature. Are you sensing a theme yet? I hadn't really realized how many books I've read that touch on these themes. I'm an explorer. It's kind of my thing.

Pirsig, Robert: Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

This book helped me articulate my commitment to quality (arete) as my highest philosophical ideal. It's a rich work from a modern day philosopher.

And so it goes. I could keep listing books and listing books. There are too many. Suffice it to say that I credit my good education to my personal studies far more than I do any formal education I've received. While I haven't so far been blessed with the resources to travel the world, I know a great deal about it and the people who live here. I like to think I know a little bit about the human condition, and how we developed as we did. Why? Books. 

I have few regrets in life. Divesting myself of my library when I moved out west is one of them. There are books that I still try to find on my shelves, that I sold 15 years ago. Some I know by sight, but can't remember the title or author. Even so, my collection has rebounded and expanded. And I admit, I look for bookshelves when entering the home of a new friend or lover. See you on the flip side...I've got to go do some reading in my hammock!

No comments:

Post a Comment