Wednesday, September 3, 2014

30 Days of Deity Devotion: Day 2


Day the Second: How did you first become aware of this deity?

That is an extremely good question. I really don't know. Presumably I learned about her in school,
when we studied Greek mythology. But how I came to know her in my own life is another thing.

When I was a baby pagan, I struggled with knowing which Goddess to call upon. As far as I can remember, I used the generic "Goddess" in my ritual and workings. I always wanted to have a statue, but I never saw one I liked. At one point, I wrote that when I think of Deity, I see stars…like an infinite universal star soup.

Meanwhile, my journey with mountains, woods, streams, archery and hunting has been lifelong. At some point in there, I realized that the presence I felt, the Goddess I was searching for…was Artemis. And she'd been with me the whole time.

I don't know precisely when it happened. Pan now, I have known of him walking beside me for many years. He's my buddy! But Artemis…I can remember feeling so alone in the many years of my spiritual solitude. Feeling alone in my life and in my pursuit of shibumi (more on that in another post; let's say "simplicity" for now), archery, martial prowress and wilderness exploration. I felt a power when I did these things, but it didn't seem to have a face. I was drawn to that power without being able to identify it. I also felt set apart by my independence. I love people, but there are so many times in my life I simply must be alone. I can't be tamed or possessed. Many times I have felt like a mountain lion, prowling alone. 

Somewhere in there, I finally figured it out. What a blessing. It is such a relief to work with her on a conscious level, after so many years of unconscious connection. I do remember telling some spiritual friends about Artemis and Pan a few years ago…and saying that they are as familiar to me as my own skin. So true.

Hail Artemis!

1 comment:

  1. Omg I love this post! I’m working a lot with Artemis too, and she’s an amazing teacher in my opinion

    ReplyDelete