Saturday, November 8, 2014

My Clan

This week my new coven, Clan of the Wildlings, gathered for the very first time. We celebrated the full Frost Moon on a beautiful evening around a roaring fire.

I'd written our ritual weeks in advance, and it was beautiful. I also did some final tweaks on it the afternoon of the ritual, forgetting that I didn't have access to a working printer. Traffic was awful, so there was no way I could stop at a copy center. Knowing that I at least had the Charge of the Goddess on my phone, I resolved to wing it.

In retrospect, this seems entirely apropos. I have been a witch for lo, this many years, and really could have led a group long ago. It took a long time for me to gain the confidence. So at this final moment of truth, it felt like the Gods were testing me:

"Here's your chance, kid. Get in there and do it from your heart."

The group got there right on time and we all pitched in to ready the space. The weather was gorgeous. We had a lovely space with a fire pit, big picnic table, camp chairs and a folding altar table. Just setting up the altar brought it home to me - this is real, this is happening RIGHT NOW. I put out the very first ritual tools I made for myself 20 years ago. The Goddess was represented by a conch shell horn, while the God was represented by a ceramic stag statue.

The night was cool, so I slipped on my fake fur ritual robe (aka the Snuggle Robe). With it, I wore a simple circlet of natural fiber cordage that I made with my summer camp kids, moccasins and my medicine pouch. A shamanistic witch indeed. I'd instructed the clan to wear things that made them feel comfortable and powerful. Each did that in their own way - a beautiful thing to my eye.

I'm of the opinion that one oughtn't talk too much about magical work, but I will share one thing. We raised energy for our working with pranayama (yogic breathing exercises). What more appropriate way for a bunch of witches who love Yoga? It was a great suggestion from one of our members and I liked it so much that we're sure to do it again.

We began with some simple synchronized deep breaths. From there, we moved to a three part breath - breathing deeply into the belly, then the ribcage, then the upper chest. Next, we practiced a four part breath - inhale, pause, exhale, pause. We ended with the Breath of Fire, an invigorating breath. it's incredibly effective for raising energy, though I doubt that the yogis of old used it in quite this way.

By the time we completed our ritual, I was walking on air. We feasted and had a really great discussion about what led each of us to this night. Another great member suggestion! One thing I really love about working with a group is the diversity of stories and ideas. Our group is no exception. We are small right now, but mighty!

My heart is so full that it took me several days to process the experience enough to write about it. Many years of searching came to an end that night. I've found my clan, and we are off to a beautiful start. I can't wait to see where our path takes us!

Thank you, thank you, thank you. To the Gods, who pushed and prodded me into founding this group. To my study group of sister witches, who have supported me and listened to all my grandiose ideas. To my old coven, who welcomed me so warmly. To my High Priestess, who has given me so much. I am honored to be a part of our little informal tradition. I am also honored to be carrying on the torch of my ancestors, both of blood and spirit. Thank you. I will do my level best to make you all proud.

Blessed be!

No comments:

Post a Comment