Tuesday, November 18, 2014

What a Geek - Coven Administration is fun!

Founding my coven, Clan of the Wildlings, has been an exciting and awesome experience on many levels. One of them warms the cockles of my geeky heart: administration. Yes, you read that sentence correctly. There is a High Priestess out there in the world who digs the organizational details.

And why not? Building a website, creating a Facebook page, designing business cards…these are just a different form of magic. With each keystroke, our clan gains more reality. With each moment of focus, the manifestation of my vision grows. Just that would be magical enough to be worthwhile.

But for my geeky heart, organization has another function: clarity. I like things to be clear, in all areas of my life. In matters of spirit, doubly so. All members of the clan need to know what they are getting into and what is happening - for the highest good of us all.

To that end, I created what I have called a foundational document. I got the idea from my time in the corporate world, plus some research here on the interwebs. This document contains the bare bones of the coven's structure, mission, holidays, etc.

Here are is a list of the headings, for your reference:

  • Leadership
  • Members
  • Officers
  • Covenstead
  • Sub-groups (similar to the different paths within Druidry, for example - arts, healing, war, clergy, etc)
  • Legal Status (are you a non-profit?)
  • Legal rituals (weddings)
  • Age Limit
  • Documents (list of core organizational docs)
  • Degrees
  • Dress Code
  • Mission Statement
  • Vision Statement
  • Membership Qualifications
  • Membership Process
  • Leaving the Group
  • Attendance Requirements
  • Holidays
  • Temple (I'd like to build one someday)
In addition to the foundational document, I made a few other documents to start the clan in an orderly fashion:
  • Seekers Questionnaire
  • Member's Oath
  • Code of Ethics
  • 13 Goals of a Witch
  • Ritual Etiquette
But the thing that may have the most geekily excited? The Clan Records document. It's in Excel format (look away, traditionalists!), one tab per topic:
  • Log - in which we record dates, ritual names, attendees, and notes about each event.
  • Expenses (receipts filed in our group BOS)
  • Income - donations, fundraising, etc (we do not have regular dues)
  • Roster - list of members, contact info, birthdays, allergies

All of these documents are available to all members at all times. Having worked as a project manager in another life, one thing I feel very strongly about is organizational transparency. While we as Pagans are part of a mystery tradition, which has secrets by its very nature…the way that the coven is run does not have to be one. In my opinion, groups are stronger when everyone knows what is going on and what is expected of each member. It builds a culture of trust and accountability. I strive to be the kind of leader that people follow not because I hold power over them, but because they trust and respect me.

If you're interested in this new paradigm of leadership and of organizational transparency, click on the links in the above paragraph. I love honoring ancient wisdom in my spirituality. I look often to ancestors, including those of blood, intellect and spirit. But I also use the modern knowledge that I have gained in my life. Organization, good administration, transparency, fair leadership…all of these things support a healthy coven. The mission of my group is to nurture a balance of body, mind and spirit. Using my geek skills is one way in which I do that - for the highest good of all, with harm to none.

Blessed be!

No comments:

Post a Comment