Monday, April 6, 2015

Water

The Pagan Experience - WK 1- Apr. 6 – Water - We are beings of water, but do we really honor it as element, physiologic need and the beginnings of our lives as humans? How do you honor water? How will you ensure its ebb and flow?


We all come from the Goddess, and to Her we must return/Like a drop of rain, flowing to the ocean.

From the waters of our mother’s womb, we emerge into the world. Just like the human body, the flow of water is the life of the Earth. The water of Earth flows in an endless cycle of rain, flowing rivers, evaporation, excretion and recycling. In this way, all waters are one.

Water can heal and give life. Water, too, can take it away. Of all the elements, water is one of the strongest. What can resist the tsunami, the flash flood or the slow drip of erosion?

My relationship with water is that of a respectful, wary ally. I am happiest when I am near water. Truly, my ideal landscape is a mountainous, hilly wood with a river or lake. I love to hear the sound of water, whether it be the waves of the sea or the burble of a rocky creek. The otter is my spirit guide for the watery realms.

For me, the lesson of water has been about acceptance and flow. I envision our lives as a large river. The flow of the river is powerful, and it goes where it wants to go. From our perspective on the river’s surface, we can’t see where the river is going. We sometimes bob along like a bit of flotsam in a flood, and other times paddle our own boat.

The times when we are floating along totally out of control I liken to living an unconscious life. We are either unaware of our power to shape our destiny, or are living in a disempowered state in which we do not believe that we can make any changes. Perhaps we are depressed, living with a feeling that it does not matter what comes our way. We simply float along, accepting whatever comes.

The Moonbeam before her maiden voyage.
When we are awake and empowered, we are paddling our own boat. We cannot fight the river directly and go in a completely different direction than the flow. That sort of fearful, controlling mindset can get us killed on the river. This is often the time when we are focused on a specific desire and wish to control how it manifests, disregarding the signs along the way that what we think we want at the moment may not be what we truly need. I have found that these are the times when the river rages, turning over the boat and dumping me into the rapids.

But there is another way. We can paddle our boat with our desires in mind, working WITH the flow. Nudging, guiding and keeping that eventual goal in mind, we paddle on, unattached to small diversions, oxbows and obstacles. Working with the flow, we become a part of the river ecosystem. We suddenly have time to enjoy the view. We can eddy out and take a rest when needed. We pay attention when the ripples indicate hidden perils. This represents emotional upsets or insights. Other times, the river is clear and calm, and all we have to do is float and enjoy the sun on our faces and the wind in our hair.

Flow. Do not resist. Guide your craft. Enjoy the ride. Be mindful of what is beneath the surface. Respect the power of the waters. These are the lessons of water.

Me? I’m a paddler, through and through. I have spent many a happy hour on the lake, on the sea, on the river. I’ll paddle or sail anything that floats, though I do prefer craft without motors. This year, my partner and I built ourselves pirogues, which are flat bottomed canoe-like boats from Cajun country. My boat is called the Moonbeam, and she is nimble, responsive and I still can barely believe that I built her with my own hands.

On a more mundane though no less important level, I honor water in my daily life. I carry a stainless steel water bottle everywhere I go. I stay hydrated. I provide clean drinking water for pets and pollinators. I am mindful of my usage of water at home and out in public. When camping or enjoying the outdoors, I practice good hygiene and minimal impact. That means digging latrines well away from water sources, and refraining from using phosphate-laden cleaners to wash dishes or bodies. 

I strive to be as Miyamoto Musashi recommends – the master is like water. Water takes the shape of its container, but it is an irresistible force (paraphrased). I flow with the Universe, while using my will to shape and guide my craft. I adapt, holding true to my vision, my honor, my goal. I let go, let go and let go again. I surrender. 

Water, great giver of life, flowing from the womb of the Goddess, ocean of dreams, well of healing love, I honor you. Blessed be!

No comments:

Post a Comment