Thursday, August 27, 2015

Primitive Instruments


Frame Drum
Some people collect handbags, or action figures...and some people collect primitive instruments. Wherever I go, I'm drawn like a magnet to any sort of flute, drum, rattle or unrecognizable musical instrument made of natural materials. Over the years, I've made several, and I'm sure this trend will continue.

Amusingly, I didn't think of myself as a musician for most of my life, despite the fact that I own and play many an instrument. Nor did I have any idea what this fascination was really about for me.

Egg rattle
When I learned to play guitar, I began to notice how the vibrations made me feel better. I remarked on this to my teacher, who was nonplussed. "Duh, why do you think we make music?" - a paraphrase of his view of the matter. In those days, it was one of my main reasons for playing, but I didn't think of the larger implications.

Rain Stick
The further along I got with my singing, the more I started to see the light. Music is sound healing, sound therapy. Singing, especially, has been a big part of my personal healing process. It helped me to address issues with first and third chakras. It has also acted as an indicator of my progress - my ability to sing has progressed the more that I heal, whether or not I have been practicing.

Gourd rattle
Bull Roarer
But back to primitive instruments. Might not our ancestors have recognized the healing properties of music? Certainly they used music as a method to alter consciousness. Shamans use sound to induce trance states for healing, journeywork, and oracular work. So surely, the makers of these primitive instruments must have known on some level about the healing vibration of sound. How cool is that?

"The Baconator" native flute
In my mundane life, I work as a healer. I'm a massage therapist, yoga therapist and reiki master. All of this work, regardless of modality, is about moving energy. To boil it down to essentials, I try to remove blockages in people's energy so that they can heal themselves. Take away all the fancy lingo, the certifications, the licensures...and that's what I really do.

Conch Shell Horn
Turtle rattle talking stick
Bamboo flute walking stick
Wood shakers
Now it makes sense - I'm a shaman and a healer, and I love the vibration of sound. That means more music for everybody! More singing, more chanting, more drumming, more dancing! And soon, I'll be offering my own trance journey/sound healing sessions. I'll keep you posted, internets.

Meanwhile, check out all these neat instruments. What do you play? Drop me a comment, I'd love to hear about your experiences with primitive instruments, sound healing and shamanic work!
Turtle ocarina

2 comments:

  1. Love this post! I'm a lover of instruments, especially primitives. Not so primitive, I grew up playing the clarinet and bassoon. I made a ceramic ocarina in the form of a squid in high school that I still own. Doesn't work too well, but it still a lovely piece.

    I've yet to make a drum, but I do enjoy drumming, especially for Journey work. I've also made rattles for space clearing rituals. I have a smuding fan that has a small rattle on it. I have a bamboo flute, too, but I haven't tried it for journey work, yet. It is fun to play, though.

    I would like to collect various drums and rattles, too.

    Never seen a Bull Roarer before. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for commenting! That squid ocarina sounds delightful. I didn't put it in this post, but there is evidence of bull roarers being used on all continents, for signaling as well as ritual use. Isn't that neat?

    ReplyDelete