Sunday, August 9, 2015

Tracking a Fresh Trail

The Pagan Experience - Wk 2- August 10: New Paths of Learning.. This is the time of starting new paths of learning as students either prepare to return to school or complete their studies. How do you determine what new paths of learning should be added to your foundations? Where do you seek further training? How do you balance the old and the new?

This year, my study group has been working with rune magic. We have been performing the rituals in Diana Paxson's Taking Up the Runes. Previously, we worked through Northern Mysteries & Magic by Freya Aswynn. At this point, we are a year into working with the runes. During that time, I've been exploring the magic, mythology and shamanism of my Germanic ancestors.

I didn't plan this turn of events. In fact, I may have been the one saying "no more than six months" when we originally discussed studying the runes. I was anxious to get on to other things, namely, studies in shamanism. 

As it turns out, this is exactly what I needed. I've been using shamanic practices for a number of years, but many of them came from indigenous cultures with whom I have no biological connection. This troubled me deeply, and I stirred up plenty of contentious debates as I processed this part of myself. Discovering that my ancestors also were shamans...this was very healing for me. 

Of course, we could also say that witchcraft in general is the shamanism of Europe. In retrospect, my journey with witchcraft has been a long trail of re-wilding, of shamanization, if you will. I started out influenced greatly by Doreen Valiente, who in turn was the chief student of Gerald Gardner. His work was, in my opinion, quite heavy on the ceremonial magic aspect of witchcraft. Looking back, my work has gotten more and more primal over the years. Closer and closer to the Earth.

As far as where I seek knowledge, and how I choose it...it generally shows up at the right time. At this point in my life, I tend to ask friends that I trust for book and teacher recommendations. I cast about online. I hit used book stores. I meditate about it. More often then not, the right teacher appears, even if only for a moment.

The runes are a great example of how I learn - I first studied them as a baby Pagan around age 15. I used them to record my magical work, and for divination. I even made my own rune sets to sell, complete with a book that I wrote and hand-bound. I thought I knew the runes.

About four years ago, I went to a rune class taught by a local Heathen group. When asked why I was there, I said that I wanted to learn about the cultural context of the runes in order to understand them better. Later, I found my coven and my study group, who then chose to study the runes with me. Following that path has not only deepened my understanding of the runes, it has enriched my shamanic work. It's helped me tie my ancestral magical heritage together. It has opened so many new vistas that I never dreamed possible. It has made me more whole. 

I guess that for me, determining and following new paths is really a process of peeling back the layers. Of retracing the steps of my ancestors. In some cases, going places I have been before with a new level of understanding. Spiralling backward to find a new way forward. And of course, following my nose to sniff out fresh trails!

No comments:

Post a Comment