Friday, December 25, 2015

Revisiting the Past: My Ethics

As I've mentioned in my previous posts on Ethics, Honor, Justice, and Arete, being an ideal human being means that one is:
  • Emotionally mature
  • Self-aware - living a conscious life, making active choices, taking responsibility for Self
  • Well educated - a broad base of knowledge including but not limited to: other cultures and world history, with an emphasis on lifetime learning
  • Consistent at putting ethical system in practice
  • Possesses a continually evolving system of ethics
My goal is to be an ideal human. Back in my heavy martial arts years, I wanted to be the ideal warrior. This consisted of a range of warrior skills plus a good education in history, strategy, philosophy, art, and music. My focus has changed, but it's not so different. I just train in different disciplines now. No fighting now; instead, I practice Yoga (my own Pagan Yoga system that I'm designing). I hone my teaching skills. Music, always music. Healing work. I think I've posted about it before, how I can't be a physical warrior any longer; instead, you could say I'm a spiritual warrior, working to raise the vibration of the world, one person at a time.

But back to Ethics. As a person who walks the warrior way, even the spiritual version thereof, living an honorable life is central to my identity. It is the light that shows me the way. It is, at times, what shapes my path. I could tell many a story about how my insistence upon the ethical choice has cost me money, relationships or what have you. Other times, it's what has cemented a relationship or gained me a business ally. And I'm totally fine with that.

So in keeping with my philosophy, here begins an examination of my list of values and ethical principles. It's time for a periodic update!
  1. Arete - Excellence above all is still the most important thing to me. Keep this one!
  2. Courtesy - the first of the virtues from my old tae kwon do dojang. Still important.
  3. Integrity - the first of the virtues from my old tae kwon do dojang. Still important.
  4. Perseverance - from my old tae kwon do dojang. Still important.
  5. Self-Control - from my old tae kwon do dojang. Still important.
  6. Indomitable Spirit - from my old tae kwon do dojang. Still important.
  7. Honor - unchanged, truly.
  8. Lifelong Learning - hasn't always been on the list, but is what I've always done.
  9. Creativity - we all have it! Continue to practice and it will strengthen.
  10. Play/humor - don't take yourself or this world or anything else too seriously. "It's sacred, not serious" - adorable hippie child 
  11. Reverence - for every step, every breath, every living thing, always.
  12. Shibumi - the essence of what is, pure simplicity
  13. Tolerance - essential to harmonious living with other beings. It means that you acknowledge the plurality of our world.
  14. Stewardship of the Earth - new - I suppose this was so intrinsic that I never listed it before. But it must be said - take care of our home.
  15. Respect the autonomy of all beings. - new - also intrinsic to my belief system is the acknowledgement that all beings have agency and that must be respected.
As it turns out, not a lot has changed. There's been a bit of evolution and perhaps a bit more clarity in my thinking about my beliefs. I'm happy to say that they have accreted throughout my life, and I value all of these incremental additions. I may not always embody them at every moment. I may fail, like everyone does. Ego, petty annoyances, and other such temporary conditions may supersede my principles. But still, I strive. And to be quite honest, I mostly succeed. I can look myself in the mirror. My relationships are good, and I have a place in the community. These are signs of success, in my book - and an ethical life!

No comments:

Post a Comment