Friday, February 28, 2014

Earth Center: Ever Closer to a Dream

I've dreamt for many years of a community that I will create. When I was younger, the dream was for it to be a sort of commune. At that time, I had no idea how I would buy the land, or how we would support ourselves. Now that I'm older, and I've lived in and around communes, my dream has grown. What I envision now is a large piece of land - 200 acres or more. The land will be held in trust by a nonprofit with a board of directors to make overall strategic decisions about how the land will be used. If the organization ever dissolves, the land will be conserved for public usage and will never be subdivided or developed for private residency or businesses.

To make the land profitable, we will host independently owned businesses, including an educational center run by yours truly, an organic farm, healing center, sustainable community, sacred grove and mystery school. Our mission will be to create self-sustaining, environmentally conscious community and share the Earth’s wisdom with all people.

My vision is to gather a crack team of entrepreneurs and prospective residential community members, shop for land and jump in to the glorious challenge that will be making this dream a reality. So many people that I know have the same dream. I can see so many beautiful programs hosted at our center - from artist residencies to yoga retreats, Spiral Scouts to Witchcraft 101. We could train youngsters in farming. We could teach every outdoor skill you could hope to need. We could maybe, just maybe, show people that living a sustainable and environmentally conscious life is not just for patchouli-wearing hippies, but the duty of every responsible citizen.

Meanwhile, I am working towards my part of the dream. I've begun a Meetup group, South Wake Spiritual Community, to build an audience for our teachings. I'm networking like mad, checking out all the other environmental education centers, spiritual centers and sustainable communities in the area. I'm getting the final pieces of my education finished. I'm making a name for myself. I'm building all the channels of my multi-faceted career: Massage & Yoga Therapy, Environmental Education, Holistic Business Consulting, Music, Writing and Art. It's a lot of work, but I'm doing what I love. My passion fuels a lot of long days and late nights.

As the Goddess knows, we need more of these places. We need every beacon of light and sanctuary that we can get in this world of unsustainable growth and suburban sprawl. We need wild spaces, real food and whole swathes of the landscape free of big box stores. We need places where a person can learn to drum, sing, canoe and revere all life. We need places that all people feel welcome, regardless of gender, race, religion, politics or profession. We need the Sacred Earth Center, the One Earth Center or the Earth Wisdom Center or...whatever we name it.

This week, dream a dream of the Earth with me. And let me know if you want in.


4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Gosh, guess I need someone to run it...;)

      Delete
    2. I pray for your vision and hopes you wrote of to come to fruition. If possible, attempt to contact Circle Sanctuary of Wisconsin (my state) as they are a Wiccan Church that has non-profit status and purchased a 200-acre nature reserve which is used by neo-pagans throughout the midwest for spiritual purposes during the Sabbats and also for neo-pagan education.

      Perhaps they could direct you in the best course of action to push your plans forward into reality! =)

      Blessings and Good Luck!
      ~Manny

      Delete
    3. Thank you, Manny! I certainly will contact the Circle Sanctuary, great idea!

      Delete