Tuesday, November 17, 2015

On Intolerance and Peaceful Co-existence

The past few days have been agonizing for me, as they have been for everyone following the news. I tried to stay out of it, to stay off of social media, to stay silent. I failed. I cannot stay silent in a world gone mad. 

People I thought I knew have been spewing hatred and intolerance. Many are calling for more war, more bombings, closing our borders, refusing to help refugees. I simply cannot stand by and do nothing. I'm reminded of a quote from a favorite film. Sure, it's a pop culture piece of entertainment, and sure, it in itself promotes violence. But this quote states it eloquently:

"And I am reminded on this holy day of the sad story of Kitty Genovese. As you all may remember, long time ago almost 30 years ago. This poor soul cried out for help time and time again, but no person answered her calls. Though many saw, no one so much as called the police. They all just watched as Kitty was being stabbed to death in broad daylight. They watched as her assailant walked away. Now, we must all fear evil men. But, there is another kind of evil which we must fear most … and that is the indifference of good men!"

I was horrified when I learned the story of Kitty Genovese in college. I am horrified today by recent events, and by people's reactions to them. So this morning, when I ought to have been getting ready for work, this is what I wrote:

I don’t normally post about current events or politics. Recent events have made this reserve impossible. In the last few days, I have seen and read about horrific crimes against humanity in Tunisia, Beirut, and Paris. Here on FB, the response has been both compassionate and hate-filled. As an empath, this is intensely painful for me. No, it’s not about me. It’s a global problem, this use of violence to further ostensibly religious agendas. It’s not just overseas – it’s here in the USA as well. Let us not forget McVeigh and all the others like him – AMERICANS who have perpetuated terrorism.

But I will tell you this. As a medical professional, I see people of all nationalities, all faiths, all genders, and all sexual orientations EVERY DAY. Each and every day, I treat people with compassion regardless of these labels. I see it as my sacred duty to see people as human beings in need first, before any of these things. 

And guess what? We are all the same when we’re in pain. Everyone’s lower back aches the same. Everyone scrunches their shoulders up to their ears when they are stressed. Everyone looks the same when they finally let go and relax.

People often talk during massage therapy sessions. Some do it because they can’t bear silence. Others, to distract themselves from the sensations in their body. Others talk to me because no one else listens to them. And let me tell you something else. Yesterday, I treated a patient who spewed hatred for the entire hour. This person hates Muslims, gays, anybody who disagrees with their church, Democrats, women in general, terrorists, and liberals. The things this client said broke my heart and caused me to sit down and question everything I am, everything I know and everything I believe in.

A friend of mine asked me how I handled the situation and said I must have the patience of a saint. I simply let the client speak. I healed this person to the best of my ability. This patient needs healing most of all. This person says these things because of deep pain within. I don’t claim to be a saint. I tell you this story not out of self-aggrandizement, but in hopes that folks will realize the same thing that I did:

Hate only fuels more hate. Violence only fuels more violence. Divisions among humanity serve only the people who seek power. Like it or not, we are all in this together. 

It’s the 21st century, and it’s high time that we all start working together. Call me an idealist if you will. Un-friend me if this angers you, truly. 

I refuse to believe that Islam or Christianity are faiths that are fundamentally incompatible with peaceful co-existence. I refuse to believe that failures in the past mean that trying again to build tolerance and peace will fail. 

We must overcome. After all, what is the alternative? A World War in which we wipe every Muslim from the face of the Earth? A global ban on religion? More years of mass killings, until no one is left? 

No. These apocalyptic visions will not happen. We will find a way through. Humanity has a tendency to shine and find solutions at the very last moment.

I will not give up. I will not give in to fear and hatred. I will continue to resist peacefully. I will continue to speak up, speak out and to take whatever actions I can to create cultural change.

Currently, I have an idea to create a global peace accord in which we all agree to the following:
  1.  Everyone has the right to live as they wish so long as it doesn't harm others.
  2. The right of sovereignty of all nations must be respected - no more conquering others by force.
  3. Diligently work to solve problems without violence.
My idea is to write this up with a cover letter and start sending it to local churches. Since religion is used as an excuse for many of the violent acts recently committed by terrorists, mass murderers, school shooters and what have you, we should start with faith leaders. We must start in churches, and in homes, to teach our young people to respect and tolerate diversity. This is the foundation of peace. Peace doesn't just happen. Peace is more accurately termed peaceful co-existence. Peaceful co-existence can only happen when we reject the use of force and embrace our beautiful diversity as a species.

Will you take the pledge? Do you know of someone already doing this? Drop me a line or a comment!

6 comments:

  1. 1. "This patient needs healing most of all."
    I can't say how much this resonated with me. Abso-freakin-lutely. I don't know how you do it. I can't be around people that are already that far damaged. I end up putting too much of myself into trying to heal them and the after effect has almost killed me on more than one occasion. If I come across someone heading down that road, but hasn't yet gotten there - you can bet I'm all over that. Keeping ONE person from that state... they'll continue the Work just by living.

    2. I love the idea of going to the spiritual leaders in our local communities and basically making a stand for true peace, compassion, and love. My fiance has been a HUGE inspiration in this matter. He's a Christian. I am most definitely a Witch. I rejected the church when I was 14 years old because of the hypocrisy found both between the Bible and the Church, and between the people when they were at services vs. out in the community. I know many things have changed since then, but a collective stand against intolerance and hatred at home is where it needs to begin.

    3. (On a much lighter note) I know that movie. I know it very well. We must be friends!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1. What I do is intense shielding, plus I ask for help from guides, allies, and the Divine. I then consciously send their harmful words and the energy behind them down into the Earth. Afterwards, I wash my hands with the coldest water available. And when it's bad enough, I talk or write about it, go outside, get hugs, snuggle kitties and eat extra carbs. ;) It can be done; it just takes practice and technique.

      2. So you understand the need for outreach and interfaith action! I'll keep you posted, for sure.

      3. Awesome! Indeed, it must be so! :)

      Thanks for writing in. I really appreciate it when people leave comments and continue the conversation!

      Delete
  2. The world definitely needs people like you... Up until recently it was insanely difficult for me to be able to ground, so I had to walk extremely carefully regarding the people I was spending my time around.

    As I mentioned, my fiance has really restored my faith in the ability of Christians (the ones that actually abide by the concept of love) to communicate with an open mind. I posted this to my facebook just before Halloween:

    "What happens when a true Christian and a true witch sit down and discuss theology 2 days before halloween?

    They make love."

    I kid you not, he and I stayed up until about 2 in the morning talking about the concept and idea of God, both in the Christian sense, the polytheistic sense, and my personal sense as a Witch. When you can have open dialogue like that, you start to develop really deep, strong bonds with people - in some cases stronger than the ones you would develop with those who share your beliefs!

    I've subscribed to your blog through feedemon (computer program that displays multiple RSS feeds. Kinda like email), so it won't show up on here. If you want to keep an eye on my blog, I'm over at http://witchofthewestcoast.wordpress.com

    Really looking forward to reading more of your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahha, that is a brilliant story! It's familiar, too. My partner is the child of a Baptist upbringing. He's now an agnostic, and we have many a debate and discussion about our differing views that aren't particularly different, really.

    It's so true about choosing your company. To some degree, I still do that now. Shielding is great, but sometimes we are tired. It's nice to be able to let it all go around people we trust. I use stone helpers too, do you?

    Thank you for subscribing! I went and checked out your blog, and will add a link to it here under the sidebar heading "Other Voices". :) Well met indeed, Kali!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing how similar we all find ourselves to be if we just open up to the possibility, right? Ever since I started walking this path I've believed that there has to be a common thread through all religions. They all carry something people crave, though the message inevitably gets skewed by our own perceptions.

      Delete
  4. Right you are. All religions are trying to give people comfort about death, belonging to a group identity and some idea of how to live while we are here. Essentially, we all want to do good. That message has gotten lost along the way for some.

    ReplyDelete