Friday, January 2, 2015

Yule on the Ocean

Ocean Sunrise by Bluefinger
I emerged on to the deck when it was still dark. Walking around to the stern of the ship, the darkness faded into the gray of pre-dawn. Chaco sandals and my water bottle kept my yoga mat grounded in the gusty breeze. The sound of the ship's engine drowned out my voice as I began to chant:

"Long night, dark of the sun
cold wind, the year is done
long night, we face the dark
cold wind, you fan the spark
sun light, the rising sun
dark wind, your work is done
Oh sun return, turning wheel
hope reborn"*

A folded beach towel became my meditation cushion as I pondered all the dark places in my soul that need light and guidance from the Gods. A short, urgent list of things to release spilled from my throat. I no longer need them. They do not serve my journey.

The wind continued as I began to move my body. I'd intended to perform twelve sun salutations, but I lost count. Numbers seem irrelevant this morning as time seems to be passing at some unknown tempo. I salute the sun in all his varied guises…Surya, Helios, Apollo, Lugh, Cernunnos, Pan. Runners circle around me on the track, indifferent to my spiritual bliss.

It seemed that the sun ought to be up by now. Will I see it from here? I've never witnessed dawn on the deep ocean before. I lie back for some savasana. Then some silent, inner impulse tells me to rise. Ah, the sun begins to break over the horizon. I am filled with joy and hope, knowing that from here on out, the light will return. Each day will be longer, my journey a little easier.

In thanksgiving, I chant again:

"Apollo, Cernunnos, Ganesha, Pan
Lugh, Horned One, Odin, Green Man"**

The cruise ship was a microcosm of America's consumerist, overstimulated culture. But for this moment, along with most dawns…I found peace. I connected with my spiritual practice, and with the Gods. I watched the rays of the sun flood the sea.

Namaste to all - the divine light within me honors the light within you.


*Source: http://www.sanfords.net/Pagan_Humor_and_Thoughts/chants.htm#Sun%20Return
**My own version of the nine gods chant, based on the nine goddess chant recorded by various artists

No comments:

Post a Comment